The conclusion is where you summarize what you have covered throughout an essay, work or article. In it, new ideas are not discussed, but the ideas explained are reformulated in a new way, being able to make the understanding of the subject deeper. In this article we will make you aware about the example of How to write a conclusion?
Have you been trying to make a conclusion but have you messed up? Have you been thinking about it for hours because you don’t know how to finish your work? Well, don’t worry, in this article we will explain in detail how to make a good conclusion, in a simple way. We also propose several ways, so you can choose your own style.
A conclusion is an important part of a text that has been prepared. Knowing how to do it is the main thing so that what is written leaves a good opinion on whoever reads it. In it, an order in the information must be maintained, made in a clear and concise manner. When doing them, no new topics should be opened that may confuse the reader.
When a writer develops content to satisfy the recipient, a good conclusion may be the key. That is why when preparing it, key points of the work carried out should be highlighted. Getting the concept clear can ensure a good impression and long-term learning.
A conclusion is a part where a text that has been developed ends. Its purpose is to recall the main approaches that were presented throughout the work. A brief summary is made with the most important ideas, writing in a new way and not repeating the sentences.
The points to be highlighted in the conclusion should be briefly explained. For nothing should touchpoints that have not been discussed previously. But you can add recommendations on the topic and if you want to invite to read texts developed from it.
For the reader, it is positive to find a good conclusion that allows them to clarify doubts about what has been read and contribute knowledge. If it is a long reading, a good explanation will refresh the learning obtained so that it will remain in your memory for a long time.
A conclusion should be short, but it does not have a certain size, everything will depend on the work that has been done. When it is a simple text, it can contain from 2 to 3 paragraphs. But if it is a long thesis or a research work, it can have 1 or more pages. Everything will depend on the number of hypotheses raised throughout the writing.
What should a conclusion include?
A good conclusion should include several points:
- In conclusion a brief summary of what is developed in your work or essay. It is important to provide a global approach to the subject and emphasize the main thing. In doing so, the reader’s mind is refreshed and brought up to date with the argument for which the text was written.
- Do not repeat phrases, rather reformulate the ideas to allow a deeper understanding.
- In the case of being the conclusion of a thesis, it must be specified whether the solution of the hypothesis described was reached or not. It indicates what was good or bad in the process and proposes other research alternatives.
- New ideas that have not been explained in the development of the text are not discussed.
- The conclusion summarizes what has developed throughout the text. If you have new ideas, dedicate a few paragraphs to the development to explain it better.
- The last sentence should leave a sense of closure. Do it with a positive tone.
- Try to show what is the importance of your ideas or the theme you have developed.
- Make the reader have learned something or feel happy to have read your text.
Ways to make a conclusion
There are several ways you can approach a conclusion. Here we explain several:
1-Conclusion focused on the “why”
When writing your conclusion this way, ask yourself why what you are summarizing is important. For example:
- Education is important to society. Why?
- It is important because it allows citizens to have better jobs. Why?
- Because in this way poverty and the negative consequences that it entails, such as addictions or crime, are reduced.
2-Conclusion going back to the introduction
Another way to make the conclusion is to go back to what was explained in the introduction, to close a circle:
- If in the introduction you described a problem or a situation, you can make the conclusion with the same problem or situation. But you do not explain the same, but you summarize what the development of the text has explained about that situation or problem.
- Reference the introduction using the same words or ideas. But not using the same phrases.
Example of conclusion going back to the introduction:
- Introduction: We will evaluate if the transit GPS will cease to exist in the short term.
- Conclusion: Without a doubt, GPS will be present for many more years (returning to the first approach), because they are widely used today and have greatly helped humanity as a technological advance.
3-Conclusion as a simple summary
- Perhaps the simplest way to conclude a work is simply summarizing what you have covered in the development of the text.
- Do not repeat things with the same sentences, try to give the reader a deeper understanding of the subject.
4-Conclusion with provocative or stimulating point
- Another way to end your paper or essay is to conclude with something provocative or thought-provoking related to the topic of your work.
- For example, if the work has been on the coronavirus, you could end up with the idea of ”taking these points into account it will be necessary to investigate more to know the true origin of the virus.”
5-Route of action or solution
- This way of making the conclusion proposes solutions for the problems that have been explained in the work.
- A brief summary of what is treated in the development of the text is made and solutions are finally given.
- For example: “to solve these pollution problems in Latin America, agreements can be made between countries, include environmental education subjects in schools and impose strong sanctions on people who do not respect the laws to protect nature.”
6-Conclusion with analysis/suggestion
- Depending on the text prepared, the opinion or recommendation of the author is necessary. In this case, the writer can make a brief own analysis and, if necessary, offer a suggestion to the reader.
- For example: “After studying the advances in GPS software, we can say that they are a very useful tool. You are invited to enter the application that your smartphone has and see the benefits that can be obtained ”.
7-Conclusion with analogy
- You can decide to make your conclusion with an analogy. To do this, what you must do is compare the content prepared with some other similar circumstance.
- For example: “ And yes, undoubtedly, we are social beings. Away from human groups we are like fish out of water ”.
- For this case, you can place future advances of the information you handle at work. In this case, you are based on technologies that are currently being developed and that will mean a possible change in the subject in days or years to come.
- For example: “The advancement in global positioning systems continues, satellites are getting better and better; Many are the countries that are investing to improve the experience of the tourists who visit them. The scope that we describe today will fall short of what can be done in a few years ”.
9-Conclusion by appointment
- It is possible to use famous quotes in the conclusions. It is recommended that they be from the developed area, this will give a high degree of seriousness. This information will be a good complement and will help the learning of the subject.
- For example: Based on what has been raised and the evidence obtained, it can be said that music intervenes in the formation process of children and adolescents in a positive way. As Plato would say: “Music is for the soul what gymnastics is for the body.”
10-Conclusion with question
- The conclusion can also be made by asking a question. By asking the reader questions, you can persuade him to make a decision on the topic. This in turn generates momentary doubts that can be clarified in the development of the conclusion. It is more informal in use.
- Example: And what will happen when artificial intelligence replaces school teachers?
Steps to make a conclusion
Now we explain how to make a conclusion step by step, in the form of a “conclusion with stimulating point”. You can choose any of the shapes already explained, although keep in mind to make a beginning of the introduction, a body and an end.
We propose a simple example for a work of “the current consequences of climate change”. But keep in mind that your conclusion will have to adapt to what you have developed in your article/essay/work.
Step 1-Choose a way to make your conclusion
- You first have to choose a way to make your conclusion. You can choose one of those that have been described in the previous point of this article.
Step 2-Start the conclusion
- To begin a conclusion, it must begin with a sentence that locates the reader. Avoid very hackneyed phrases like “we can conclude” or “in conclusion.”
- Example: “ Climate change is getting worse; As anticipated, it is generating serious negative consequences throughout the world ”.
Step 3-Summarize the main idea (body of the conclusion)
- You can continue writing the main idea of your essay or article.
- It should be done without repeating information or extending itself.
- The most important thing is summarized, trying to leave a deeper idea in the reader.
- Example: “The most serious effects that we are already experiencing are the melting of the poles and the loss of habitable territory, especially in the islands of the Pacific Ocean.”
Step 4-Finish the conclusion
- The conclusion ends in a simple way, trying to make the reader see that your topic is important, with a good attitude and making them notice that your article or essay has been worth reading.
- Example: “What will happen when these effects begin to be noticed on the coasts of Mexico? It is possible that then we will begin to act, we still have time.
To avoid in a conclusion
Avoid these points when making your conclusion:
- Make the conclusion with a typical phrase that has surely been used millions of times, such as “in summary”, “closing”, “as we explained in the essay“, “in conclusion.
- Explain the main idea of your work for the first time.
- Include evidence, data, hypotheses, or studies that should have been included in the development of the work.
- Be emotional or dramatic.
- Explain a new idea or subtopic.
- Too short a conclusion. For example: “In conclusion, Alexander the Great, as he has developed, was a pioneering conqueror who wanted to unite the West and the East.”
Examples of conclusions
Here are several examples of conclusions:
The coronavirus, a pandemic that took humanity by surprise, has abruptly changed the lifestyle of the inhabitants of dozens of countries. Due to its easy contagion and countless deaths caused, it is clear that it is facing one of the most serious viruses of the last century.
At the moment there is no cure for this terrible disease. However, work continues on a vaccine. That is why you should not lower your guard, continuing with prevention is the only guarantee to maintain the health of the population. The world is changing and you have to adapt to the new reality.
2-The challenges of the future of work
Technology has advanced rapidly, especially robotics and artificial intelligence. To cope with the loss of millions of jobs, countries will have to think about new measures, such as the proposal to tax robots. In addition, citizens who do not want to be left behind will have to start training in new areas.
It is not about hating new technologies, since they can significantly improve our quality of life, improving our health, life expectancy, and giving us more time to carry out creative or artistic activities.
Migration is a reality that is present worldwide. The growth rates are high. In this regard, host countries and their companies have multiple benefits and few disadvantages. Many are the people who take risks for a better future, personal and family, even if they are making other sacrifices.
Internationally, it is of the utmost importance that laws are drawn up to support and protect immigrants. Starting from scratch is not easy and even less if you are not in your country of origin. It is hoped that progress will continue and that fair payments can be generated for the abundant skilled labor that comes as a result of this phenomenon.
Those who wish to emigrate are advised to study the country that will receive them, seek opinions, and do their own risk analysis.
It is a fact that air pollution causes great damage to health. Therefore, it affects the development of daily life. The air presents more and more toxic gases that have caused considerable deterioration in the respiration of many residents.
Changes have long been tried to help the environment, but very few have worked. It is time for human beings to create consciousness, as they are the ones who have done direct damage to nature. It is recommended to follow the recommendations offered in this research work if profound changes are desired. It is possible to save the world, it is in the hands of man.
5-Poverty in Latin America
Poverty has reached incredible numbers in the world. As you could see, in Latin America it is no different, it is already more than 30%. There are many factors that affect Latinos and it is of great concern that the numbers grow without stopping. Children are the ones who are being most affected in the midst of this situation.
The economic growth that some regions have is not enough to combat this evil. While some governments focus on improving the quality of life of their inhabitants, these policies do not always work. More international support and a greater number of training programs are required.
Education is key, as well as the promotion of citizen awareness. Poverty will be eradicated only when decent wages, education, security, and quality health policies are guaranteed to the most defenseless populations.