As its name implies, Political science is the academic discipline that studies the political phenomena of a society . Regarding the nomenclature of these studies, the term political science or Political science is normally used indifferently. Consequently, the political scientist is a person with a degree in Political Science.
In this field of knowledge, the power structures of a nation or at the international level are analyzed.
From an academic point of view, the subjects studied are related to political systems, electoral analysis, the historical dimension of political reality , the functioning of public administration and research methodology, among other contents. In this sense, it should be emphasized that Political science as a discipline is linked to other areas, such as sociology, law, history, philosophy and marketing.
The activity of the political scientist
The possible fields of activity of a political scientist are basically the following:
1) access to the civil service;
2) research and teaching in the university field;
3) advising public or private entities;
The role of the politician in the private sector
Some multinational companies hire political scientists to analyze the political circumstances of the countries in which the company intends to establish itself. This circumstance has a strategic character because in a country with political instability it is not advisable to put a business project into practice.
Political science in the current context
In recent years, it has become fashionable to study Political Science, which is explained by a simple reason: in the current context, politics faces a series of new challenges. Among the most outstanding we can highlight the following:
1) the rise of populism as a political phenomenon;
2) the role of social networks in relation to political activity;
4) the analysis of certain concepts and realities that are subject to permanent change (leadership, participatory democracy, lack of interest in politics in broad sectors of society , corruption, among other phenomena).