Morphological level in learning English
- Learning English through word relationships
- Learning English by studying the structure of the word
- Morphological level in the English language
- Morphology in learning English vocabulary
- Information sources
Learning English through word relationships
The learning of English should always be a process continuing through a set of methods and procedures , especially with the use of semantic phenomena in order to relate, which must meet, the translation of the grammar , the lingualism audio, vocabulary, flashcards , etc. Here students practice making sentences with do, does the time present, nouns and the suffix “er” before going to the stage production in which speak more freely of himself. (The driver drives fast but I don “t drive a car). The teaching of Children should be more experiential, looking for grammatical contents that cover and adjust their needs. All this must be developed with the appropriate materials such as books , CDs, videos to achieve a more meaningful learning.
It is also important to consider the behavior , the environment as well as the internal and external factors in which learning takes place , for example in the internal factors: the biological, psychological and social conditions of the person .
In the external factors: conditions of the natural and social environment where the student develops (socio-economic environment, geographical reality, social relations, educational system , school infrastructure etc.)
And in terms of behavioral factors: responses of the subject, behaviors of the subject, in response to stimuli, needs, example: problems , urgencies, suggestions, etc., coming from the natural or social environment, presented or shown in images or photos , to be mentioned in English but with a new vocabulary.
In the learning of the English language by means of the relation of words, a learning session can be arranged with the use of the means and materials applied to the meanings of both prefixes and suffixes.
The student will learn on the one hand by the familiarity of the words and the construction of new ones through the root, in order to achieve a new group of words and increase their vocabulary.
With the use of verbs
(drive) Drive driver
(sing) Sing Singer (singer)
(play) Play player
(paint) Paint painter (painter)
With the use of adjectives
(Friendly) kind unkind (unkind)
(Educated) polite impolite (poorly educated)
(Patient) patient impatient (impatient)
( Moral ) moral amoral (amoral)
Learning English by studying the structure of the word
The morphology is the branch of linguistics that studies the words. This means that as morphemes operate in the process of derivation and inflection of words, how words are constructed.
In order to encourage students to reflect on the English language, it is necessary to use a methodology capable of developing skills and that includes activities that generate opportunities for reflection, among others.
For example, learners may understand that if the prefix – dis is added to the verb like , the opposite meaning is obtained: dislike or that if the suffix -ful is added to the noun wonder, the adjective wonderful is obtained .
It is important that they understand that they can apply these strategies to countless linguistic combinations.
Therefore, understanding the morphological structure of words provides students with strategies that will help them organize knowledge of the language , deduce meaning, broaden their understanding and achieve a better acquisition of the language. These strategies are applicable to English as well as Spanish and this integration of strategies contributes to the development of autonomous learning.
This immense production process of morphological derivatives and their different combinations allows grammatical creativity and exploration and discovery of meaning, which are characteristic of human language .
Morphological level in the English language
As experience indicates, the morphology of the English language offers an initial difficulty to a Spanish-speaking student. The morphemes of number and verb tenses are usually of rapid assimilation to a type of person accustomed to the complex processes of Spanish. However, the fact that these morphemes serve to produce final consonant groups of difficult accommodation for any type of student, shows special attention to their consideration as a problem area.
With the experiences in educational institutions and in general with those who have developed a teaching job in teaching English at this level, it is clear that another problem area arises in the formation of irregular verbs in the past known as “irregular verbs. ” The irregularity in Spanish which, as a general rule, is observed in the root of the verbs:
Do (present) = do, do, do,
Do (past) = hize, we did, did
It does not serve our norm learners to understand,
do + past = did
See = saw
Take = took
On the other hand, the formation of the plural that goes beyond the simple addition of “s” or “is”, supposes that the students of the educational institutions have to go through very similar paths to those that the natives who acquire the English travel as a mother tongue, with what is expected the same kind of “natural” mistakes
Foot – Feet no foots no feets
Mouse – mice no mouses no mices
Morphology in learning English vocabulary
Without grammar the English language could be learned very little, but without vocabulary nothing could be learned. In this way, linguist David Wilkins summarized the importance of learning vocabulary.
That is why the use of morphology in the learning of English and the formation of new words by means of a prefix or suffix, an addition of a morpheme of gender , number etc. It must be constant. On the other hand, not only the student who is at a basic level should learn it but also the student who is at the higher levels since learning new words should not be limited to the levels of teaching or knowledge of the students.
We must make the students more important in learning new vocabulary in order to acquire a habit in the most complicated subjects. It all depends on the student being aware of their learning and what is taught in the classroom is not enough.
To fulfill this duty, the work of the dictionary is also important . Today our dictionary not only helps to give the meaning of the words but also to see the correct use of the term to search.
Every new word we can find in a dictionary, the learning of our students will be greater, so they must be aware that learning the English language means knowing a lot of words all the time.
In addition, we as teachers must encourage our students in this activity, in the search for new words, in the correct use of each of them, in the formation of them through morphemes, and knowing the morphological level. But all this work It should be done from the beginning of classes and if possible exemplifying the consequences of using morphology properly through a correct technique or strategy so that students can learn without difficulty.
- The morphological level is of great importance in order to better understand the construction of words, the rules of formation and the internal structures of them.
- Based on this research, apply knowledge that strengthens and improves the understanding of word formation. The morphological level will be easy to understand if we as teachers are well prepared to encourage this research.
- The morphological level encourages and helps to reflect the students in the learning of the new words and in the meaning of each one of them.
- The morphological level is important in English language learning because it provides students with strategies that will help them organize knowledge of the language, deduce meaning, expand their understanding and achieve a better acquisition of the language.
- Learning factors such as biological, cognitive and affective will influence the learning of the English language. Therefore, it is expected that the teacher can provide relevant information to facilitate learning.
- That in general the construction of words and understanding of grammar structures are acquired in the first years in the age of a child, because parents and society influence the acquisition of this knowledge.
- The process of learning the English language through the structure of words must be conceived in a way that guarantees the formation and development of that knowledge effectively.
- Vocabulary learning, word classes, morphemes and English language learning will be acquired by our students naturally as they mature.