Dysarthria is a neurological disorder that affects speech. Those who suffer from this disorder have many difficulties to be understood, as they do not articulate the words well. The brain sends orders to the speech musculature, but the relationship between the brain and the phonation organs is not correct.
Origin, external signs and prevention
In some brain injuries, such as stroke, Parkinson’s or tumors, the organs used in speech can be altered in some way, whether in the intensity of mouth movements or in the articulation of language . To detect this change in the brain, it is common to use MRI or tomography. Dysarthria
In addition to confusing and sometimes incomprehensible language, people with dysarthria do not control their saliva, have facial asymmetry, voice changes and, in some cases, it is difficult to chew food.
From a neurological point of view, to prevent dysarthria it is advisable to avoid risk factors such as cholesterol and high blood pressure.
The speech therapist is the specialized professional who treats this change
The objective of the speech therapist with dysarthric patients is to ensure that their communication improves as much as possible. For this, they use a series of techniques:
1) cold massage when facial muscle tone is limited and heat massage when muscle tone increases;
2) an electric oral hygiene brush is used to stimulate the orofacial area; Dysarthria
3) oral gymnastics exercises are performed, better known as braxias (these mouth movements are performed in front of a mirror);
4) there is a series of specific breathing and voice coordination movements ;
5) exercises are performed to improve the articulation of words.
As in other speech disorders, it is important that the speech therapist works together with the patient and their family. It should be taken into account that dysarthria can be accompanied by other associated problems, especially depression and social isolation . In some cases, people with this type of problem need to communicate in different ways, for example, with gestures or writing down what they want to say.