Audiovisual communication is one that carries messages through a sound and visual language at the same time, such as television , movies , video games and videos posted on the Internet . The rise of this type of communication today is due to technological development, which has made it possible to record movement and sound through cameras and microphones, displacing other types of languages such as written or oral.Since it is a language with multiple elements, these can be analyzed separately or as a whole. In this way, a film can be analyzed from its soundtrack, from the events programmed by the script, from the different planes and colors used in the image, or from all these elements and more.
In 2005, the United Nations Organization for Education, Science and Culture (UNESCO) declared October 27 as the World Day for Audiovisual Heritage. That day was chosen because it corresponded to the twenty-first meeting of the Organization, when the Recommendation on the Safeguarding and Preservation of Moving Images was approved . In this way, the protection of television and radio programs and series, and films, in all their formats, as vitally important patrimonial records of the 20th and 21st centuries, was ensured. At present, audiovisual communication is present in different areas of our daily life, having particular relevance for the mass media.
What are the types of audiovisual communication?
Audiovisual communication can be classified according to its purpose in:
- Objective : one that seeks to deliver the information without having filtered it with any opinion or interpretation, such as the recording of a documentary or a security camera.
- Advertising : one that seeks to persuade the viewer to consume a certain product or service.
- Artistic : one that is done with an artistic intention, whatever the author wanted to give it.
Importance of Visual Communication in society
As we mentioned at the beginning of the article, Visual Communication is present in our daily lives. It could even be said that it is predominant today. We are exposed to it at all times, from when we wake up and the first thing we do is grab our cell phone, when we drive and see advertising on the streets or have to respect traffic signals, when we watch television, walking down the street, etc It can be said that Visual Communication conditions our life, controls our behavior in a slight way and allows us to get involved in society.
It is vital that brands and advertisers know how to spread their messages in a simple and efficient way, in order to be able to convey the message correctly without misunderstandings. It should be noted that for the messages to be effective, the sender must ensure that they use a universal message or that their target audience understands so that the receiver can capture it. If the message is not 100% clear, noise will be generated, false concepts will be created and the message will not be successful.
Examples of Visual Communication
The type of Visual Communication will depend on the function that you want the message to fulfill. Here are the examples:
- Emotional: The purpose of this type of communication is to convey an emotion. Here everything will depend on the visual elements that are used as: a photo.
- Fact: In this case, what the issuer is looking for is to attract the attention of the public. For example, if there is construction going on in the streets and it is dangerous to walk there due to a large hole, a rather conspicuous banner or logo will be used.
- Informative: As its name says, they are those messages that seek to inform the receiver. For example, a sign that indicates where the toilets or the emergency exit are located in a room.
- Exhortative: The function of this type of communication is to convince the public of something. For example, a television spot advertising some cookies, an attempt will be made to convince the audience to consume and buy them, or also a candidate for the presidency.
- Aesthetics: This type of message will seek beauty in a purely artistic or aesthetic object. Paintings or films are located in this type of audiovisual communication.
Visual communication is present in our day to day, remember that everything transmits a message, but it is up to each one to know which ones we apply for our benefit and lifestyle.