Conative function of language with Linguistic resources/examples
Conative function of language
The language has different functions. Specifically we can find six. These were defined by the linguist Roman Jackobson who established this new paradigm in the study of Linguistics. Thus, when we speak of language functions we refer to the following: Conative function of language and examples
- Expressive or emotional function
- Appellate or conative function
- Poetic function
- Phatic or contact function
- Metalinguistic function
- Representative or referential function
We see that the conative function is within the language functions described by the author. Therefore, how can we define the conative or appellative function of language?
First of all, we must point out that this function is focused on the receiver of the message . That is, the protagonist of this function will be the person who is going to receive a message from a sender. This is used when you want to establish the purpose of provoking a reaction on the part of the receiver, getting their attention or obtaining a response on their part.
In addition to conative, this function can be identified as appealing, since its function is to appeal to the interlocutor . The issuer will ask a question to the issuer with the aim that this provides an answer to a situation or question or that it provokes a reaction.
On the other hand, this function tries to influence the behavior of the receiver , that is, it seeks a reaction in him. It focuses on the receiver. It is the function of office and ask. The sender tries to influence the behavior of the receiver. Something is expected from you. Thus, there will be a necessary interaction between the two communicative elements.
Therefore, we could say that the appellate or conative function of language is that which serves to appeal to the interlocutor or to call his attention so that he performs a certain action, whether it is to comply with an order, answer a question, accept a request, an invitation … etc.
Linguistic resources of the conative function of language
In order to establish this conative function of language, we can use different linguistic resources that will help us achieve the purpose of appealing to the issuer and achieving a reaction in him.
- Use of vocatives.
- The second person predominates.
- Verbs are used in the infinitive and imperative mode.
- Use of interrogative sentences
- Use of exhortative sentences
Examples of the conative function of language
Now you know what the definition of the concept of conative function of language is and you know what resources it uses for it. But in order for you to understand it better, it will be necessary to apply a series of examples of conative function that will help you to establish your knowledge and clarify any doubts you may have in this regard. Conative function of language and examples
Here are some sentences that show this conative or appellative function of the language so that you can recognize them quickly and easily when you have to analyze any text:
- Ana, pick up everything you have thrown in your room right now!
- Do you have the book that Pedro left you?
- Could you close the door to the terrace? It starts to get cold here.
- Isabel, go to the concierge and ask Miguel for some chalk.
- Please behave yourself correctly!
- Would you like to come with me to Sofia’s birthday party?
- Do it now!
- Can you answer the phone?
- In order to access the grant, please send this correctly completed file via certified mail.
- Bring us two plates of pasta Bolognese and a bottle of wine, please.
- Laura, could you help me with these boxes?
- Think things over before you act!
- Please read all exam questions carefully before answering.
- When you come from work go to the supermarket and bring milk, we have run out.
- Stop immediately!
- Have you thought about studying a career related to education?
- Forget that man for once!
- Did you bring the ingredients your father asked you to make dinner?
- Wait to be served. Conative function of language and examples
- In an emergency press the alarm button.
- Please turn off your mobile phones, the show will start.
- Close the closet door!
- Please could you speak lower? We are reunited.
- Let me know if you arrive soon.