Having a variety of recruiting sources is essential to finding the most suitable candidates for the company. Finding the most suitable talent for each company is a Human Resources task that is not always easy and that involves choosing the most suitable recruitment sources to advertise job offers.
Types of recruiting sources
Employee references are one of the most relevant sources for finding employees. But this is just one of the models available.
As we know, there are two basic types of staff recruitment: external recruitment – which looks for talent outside the company – and internal recruitment – which tries to find it within the company. Different fonts are used for each of them:
External Recruitment Sources
External sources of recruitment are those that do not belong to the company, such as online job networks, other third-party organizations and also headhunting.
Advantages of external recruitment sources
Its main advantages are:
- Have access to a huge amount of talent
- Save on training
- Promote competitiveness and diversity
- Incorporate new recruitment and selection ideas, tools and techniques .
However, it is important to know what recruitment sources are available to ensure a quality process .
9 external sources of staff recruitment
- Job portals: the higher the quality of the job portal, the better the recruitment process .
- Social networks: which also allow you to add value to the brand.
- Events: specialized in the sector. This is a very efficient way to ensure that the candidate is focused on what the company is looking for and on their respective sector of activity.
- Job boards: Universities and schools often have job boards where students register. This is an interesting source for recruiting people who are just starting out in the job market.
- Job fairs: this is a very interesting option to select talent and attract more specific profiles.
- Company job page: where the organization can expose open offers and organizational values.
- Corporate blog: with the same objective and format as the previous point.
- Multimedia content: videos on YouTube or similar that show the positive aspects of working at the company, for example.
- Placement agencies: which can help the company in some specific cases, especially if the hiring process has to be fast.
Internal Recruitment Sources
Internal recruitment consists of filling a vacancy by relocating an employee who already belongs to the company. Therefore, carrying out the selection process internally can be very positive for the organization.
This includes the recommendation of people by other employees who already work for the company.
In case the company finally decides to carry out the selection process internally , there are several sources to find the ideal candidate for the new position:
When we talk about the database as one of the sources of internal recruitment, we are referring to two types of profiles : those who are already part of the organization and others who have gone through it but ended up not being integrated for different reasons. This is the case, for example, of candidates who have reached the end of a selection process.
Regarding the employee database, it is convenient to have this information stored and updated. That is, having a history of the data of candidates and employees. Unfortunately, there are many companies that still do not have a system that allows them to centralize all this information.
The recruitment and selection software presents itself as an excellent solution, as it maintains an updated and centralized file of employees, meets security and data protection standards, allows automating personnel management tasks, consulting data in one place and accessing the history of interactions.
In addition, it is easily integrated with other time tracking and payroll software and is a user-friendly and responsive platform accessible from anywhere.
Database of Former Candidates
This functionality refers to the search for candidates who are not on the staff , but who are included in the company’s database, either because they once showed an interest in working for the company or because they participated in another selection process.
To build a database, it is important to properly compile the number of resumes that reached the company, complying with current legislation.
Thus, the internal recruitment software allows both the analysis of stored applications and the management of an internal process, relying on the talent that already exists in the organization. The tool also helps in creating approval flows for managers to approve or reject requests from company employees.
Interns as sources of internal recruitment
Companies must take interns into account in these recruitment processes to identify talent and not let them slip away.
Publicity of the vacancy through different channels
Today, the communication of companies with their employees can be done by email and this is an interesting tool to publicize new job vacancies in the company so that interested employees can participate in the process, facilitating the work of Human Resources. But other channels can and should be used in this communication as well.
Referral programs for internal recruitment
The nomination program consists of asking company workers to recommend a qualified person to fill a new position.
Candidates selected in this way are better suited because they know in advance the company’s values and how it works. In addition, they will try harder not to disappoint the person who recommended them, being more productive.
Our Human Resources software helps to easily create internal recommendation processes, bringing an excellent return on investment for the company.
Rehiring as a source of internal recruitment
Sometimes companies are forced to lay off workers because that specific position is no longer needed or because demand has decreased and they don’t need to have as many employees hired.
This does not mean that the organization was unhappy with the employee. Therefore, when a need arises again within the company, it is advisable to resort to rehiring . After all, the manager already knows that the employee works correctly, knows the processes and is related to the values of the entity.
Growth plans, internal recruiting tool
If the company is committed to the professional growth of its employees and uses assessment and training tools to promote it, it will obtain very valuable information about which professional is best suited for a new position .
Advantages and Disadvantages of Internal Recruitment Sources
Advantages of Internal Recruitment
- Internal recruiting motivates employees , increasing their effectiveness and engagement as they see their talent being recognized.
- It does not require an adaptation process (at least as rigorous or specific) from the employee to the company or its values because the employee is already familiar with the processes.
- Prevents the brain drain, allowing your team to grow professionally within the company.
- Internal recruiting saves the company because it doesn’t have to go through an external recruiting process and start from scratch.
- The company can invest in other specific training for employees.
- Internal recruitment strengthens employees’ career plans and promotions .
Disadvantages of Internal Recruitment
As in all processes, when carrying out an internal recruitment process, there are negative aspects that the company must evaluate:
- Limitation in choosing someone more qualified for the position, because by restricting the selection process to company personnel , the opportunity to find new talent outside is closed.
- The company can stagnate . Thus, internal recruitment misses the opportunity to incorporate new talent with innovative ideas . Sometimes, employees are so familiar with the processes that they lose their freshness and the ability to reinvent themselves.
- Internal recruitment can cause rivalry among workers or discomfort if the process is not taken care of.
- If the worker does not meet the expectations of the new position, it is very difficult for the company to relocate him to the previous position , so there is a risk of losing a good professional in another area.
Communication flows in internal and external recruitment sources
Regardless of the source of recruitment used, internal or external, it is important to generate mechanisms so that communication between people is agile and clear.
Having communication models will help the company to streamline processes . With a recruitment software , you have access to automated messages explaining what stage the candidate is in, direct and simple contact for scheduling interviews or tests, among others.
The importance of choosing the right sources of recruitment
In order to find the ideal candidates , it is necessary to choose the sources of recruitment well. The issue gets worse when it comes to a medium or large company, with more than 30 selection processes per year .
To meet our needs and this volume of talent recruitment, it is necessary to publicize the offers as much as possible and in the greatest number of channels and portals. In this scenario, the recruiting and selection can be of great help. This tool allows, for example, to access more than 80 recruitment sources in an automated way, without having to post the offer on each portal, university, aggregator, business school, etc.By managing the entire process from the same recruitment and selection tool , the company optimizes the process of publicizing job offers. And this undoubtedly helps to oversee and monitor the return on investment of the recruitment process. The recruitment system helps to put an end to repetitive and manual processes and to automate and optimize all recruitment steps.