That is to say, this type of accident refers to the damage suffered by a worker for the performance of his work, and for which the employer must be held responsible.
Occupational accidents can be of a different nature and each legislation gives them a different treatment. In addition, the risks to which the employee is exposed vary according to the sector or economic activity .
Another important point is that this type of accident can cause minor injuries or leave a disability (temporary or permanent), and can even cause the death of the employee.
In addition, it is worth noting that the damages of a work accident can not only be physical, but also psychological. Work accident definition
Types of occupational accident
Some types of workplace accident are the following:
- Accidents “in itinere”: These are those that the worker suffers when he goes to or returns from his place of work.
- On mission : Occurs when the employee is moving to a location indicated by the employer, for example, when a journalist must cover an important event.
- Accidents in the exercise of work: They happen when the employee performs the work commissioned by his superiors.
- In union functions: It occurs when the person requests a union permit and is carrying out said activity.
- Diseases acquired over time: These are ailments that are suffered as a result of performing a job for a long period of time. Work accident definition
Example of an accident at work
An example of an occupational accident may be that suffered by a person who works in a factory where he remains exposed to high noise levels for long hours. Work accident definition
Let’s imagine that over time the employee lost a large part of his hearing. Thus, an expert opinion could show that the cause of this ailment was the conditions of the workplace. If so, the employer must be held liable, and the authorities may even determine that it must pay compensation to the worker.
Work accident and legislation
Occupational accidents are treated differently according to the country’s legislation. For example, in the case of Spain, employers must contribute monthly to Social Security for each of their workers. Thus, if one of them suffers a contingency in the performance of their tasks, they could access a temporary disability benefit, health care, a permanent disability benefit, or compensation for injuries suffered or death (benefit that the respective beneficiary would receive ). Work accident definition