Fits of laughter
In this important article we will elaborate you about the fits of laughter. Spending good times in the company of loved ones usually gives us great pleasure and generates a few laughs. This produces a series of bodily changes that are not taken into account when these sensations arise. How many times have we heard a joke that made us so happy that we couldn’t control our laughter?
It is clear that laughter is a response that marks a reaction to an event that surprises us. However, there are certain situations that are not fun, but in which some people are not able to contain this type of response and are subjected to embarrassing moments when they cannot control this involuntary act.
Why do I have fits of laughter out of nowhere
Laughter can be caused by voluntary and involuntary aspects that surround the person. As for those conscious stimuli that trigger this action, we can highlight some such as jokes or humiliating situations. In other words, the person knows why he laughs, however, this laugh may be involuntary and have no logical explanation.
In this sense, it is important to remember that there are always certain causes linked to these fits of laughter. We will see them below:
- Organic lesions : certain parts of the central nervous system are associated with the processing of stimuli coming from outside. When there is an overactivation of neurotransmitters resulting from injuries caused by diseases and/or accidents, it is possible that they act as triggers for involuntary laughter. Among the best known are gelastic epilepsy, cerebrovascular accidents, Angelman syndrome, among others.
- Unconscious aspects : according to psychoanalytic theory, psychological contents arise that correspond to conscious issues that the person does not know they inhabit within. This, in turn, implies that a laugh without an apparent cause may be due to having established a connection with some situation in that person’s daily life. To find the reasons for this type of reaction, you will need to consult a mental health professional.
- Mental disorders : another of the possible causes of fits of laughter for no reason could be the presence of a mental disorder. Mental disorders encompassthose mental health problems that represent changes in behavior, emotions and thoughts. Here we can find, for example, autism spectrum disorder or schizophrenia, among others.
How are the fits of laughter for no reason
Generally speaking, fits of laughter for no reason have a gradual onset that increases in intensity as it develops. In other words, a laughing fit starts with a half-hearted smile and later turns into small sounds.
Once the laughter attack increases, it can affect the activity that the person is developing to the point of being unable to stop this situation. Although the duration of these episodes can vary depending on the qualities of the person and the context in which they develop, the average time ranges from a few seconds to several consecutive minutes.
What to do when you have a fit of laughter for no reason
Despite the difficulties that this type of problem can cause, there are some methods to counteract the negative effects that occur in different environments. Here’s what to do when you’re laughing for no reason:
- Distraction from thoughts : when a person starts laughing without being able to stop, one of the most viable options is to turn to other thoughts that are a source of distraction from the stimulus that generates this response. However, it may be necessary to repeat it several times until you get the desired effect.
- Focus on breathing : the respiratory rate is associated with the neural connections that are released when a fit of laughter occurs for no reason. For the same reason, decreasing the intensity through deep breaths can be a possibility to control this moment. In this article you will find some breathing exercises that you can do in these cases.
- Identification of laughter without a reason : if a person knows that he has this type of involuntary action, it will be necessary to register it in order to discover and approach it in another way. When a person can visualize the times when these episodes occur, he can anticipate them and try to avoid them.
- Evasion of the moment : faced with the imminent appearance of a fit of laughter for no reason, it is important to know that this is an action that can be considered negative by the social environment. If you are unable to control the situation, it is best to avoid it. Therefore, it is preferable to leave the place to avoid an unpleasant moment.
- Start psychological treatment : if the bouts of laughter for no reason cause damage that the person cannot control and lead to problems in their daily lives, it may be a good time to start psychological treatment. The mental health professional will provide you with tools to deal with this type of difficulty more pleasantly.