The compound sentences are those that have more than one conjugated verb personally. For example: (We cook) and (they wash the dishes). In this post we will describe the Compound sentences in English with examples.
- Compound sentences are also known as complex sentences . In addition to the above classification, there is also an additional type of compound sentence, the adjunctive , which adds an attached proposition, usually an interjection or a vocative, to another proposition.
- The simple sentences , as opposed to composite, are the simplest syntactic structures and consist of a maximum two phrases, one nominal and one verbal. For example: The child eats candy
- The compound sentence should not be confused with the simple sentence with a compound subject . For example: My uncle and my cousins always spend the summer in Mar del Plata. Not even with the simple sentence with compound predicate . For example: The new actress sings and dances beautifully .
Types of Compound Sentences
Syntactically independent propositions are combined through connectors or links of different types (additive, adversative, distributive, explanatory).
For example: (Come) and (I’ll explain).
Subordinate or juxtaposed sentences
There is a proposition that depends syntactically on another, which is the main proposition. In such setences, the propositions that combine and integrate acquire meaning through punctuation:
comma, semicolon, colon or point. For example: I don’t like the shirt (that you gave me).
Examples of compound sentences
- We cook and they wash the dishes.
- The referee arrived on time, but the players did not show up at the stadium.
- The waiter took the orders and the food arrived in no time.
- They are going to close, you must hurry.
- Laura didn’t go to the party; her mother was not feeling well.
- Martín will come tomorrow, but his girlfriend doesn’t know.
- Oh! How many people in this room!
- Suddenly he felt very tired and a taxi picked him up.
- Taxes will increase and the currency will be devalued.
- What a danger! Children travel without their seat belts!