Palm Sunday is a festival integrated within Holy Week in Christianity. During this day, solemn acts that are part of Holy Week take place.
Symbols and design
The Palm Sunday liturgical ceremony refers to the blessing of palm trees, followed by the procession and mass. During mass, the priest recalls the passage of the Passion of Jesus Christ. The faithful who take part in this ceremony carry branches of palm, olive or other trees. At the same time, during the procession, people sing hymns of praise. Priests lead the procession and guide the faithful.
The blessing of the branches or palm trees takes place before the procession. Among Christians, it is customary to keep the blessed branches in their homes, as they symbolize the paschal victory of Jesus Christ.
On this day, we commemorate the entry of Jesus Christ into the Temple in Jerusalem, riding a donkey. It is noteworthy that on this day people were acclaiming the authentic Messiah. Palm Sunday
Palm Sunday in the context of Holy Week
During Easter, the Passion, Death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ is celebrated. It should be noted that when Jesus Christ traveled to Jerusalem for the last time, he met faithful followers, but he also encountered detractors who considered him a traitor. Jesus Christ rode into the city on a donkey and the crowd hailed him as a savior and descendant of King David.
Christianity remembers this biblical episode and during mass the priest wears the red color, which symbolizes the shedding of blood by Jesus Christ to save men. Palm Sunday
After Palm Sunday, there are four other celebrations:
- – First place in Quinta- show Santa, remember the episode of the Last Supper of Jesus Christ with his disciples and at the same time, the celebration of the Eucharist.
- – The following day, Good Friday, the commemoration of the Passion of Jesus Christ takes place with the acts of the Via Crucis .
- – Holy Saturday is a day of waiting, because during that day Jesus Christ remained in his tomb. The Easter Vigil is the most significant liturgical act of this day. Palm Sunday
- – Thursday, Friday and Holy Saturday are known as the Easter Triduum.
- – Finally, on Easter Sunday the resurrection (return to life) of Jesus Christ is celebrated.
In short, in Holy Week Christians remember the last six days of the earthly life of Jesus Christ. For Christians, the celebration of Holy Week is a reason to renew their faith and consolidate their personal commitment.