If employee training is a priority for many companies… Why do they make the mistake of not giving the same importance to management training and management development? In this article we will make you enable about training for managers.
Within the reception plan for new employees, some companies incorporate specific training so that they adapt more quickly to the tasks they will perform in the company . However, this training is not usually passed on to the managers and heads of the company: training for managers and managerial development are not taken care of.
Training for managers is as or more necessary than training for employees, since the responsibilities of company managers are greater and involve the work teams themselves.
The training of leaders contributes to improving the internal functioning of companies and reduces the rate of staff turnover in positions of greater responsibility. In addition, there are different alternatives to achieve the desirable training objectives.
Why training for managers is also important
Management development and the implementation of management training plans are conspicuous by their absence in the strategic plans of many companies . It is taken for granted that leaders are qualified to carry out their functions precisely because they occupy that position.
The reality, however, is that many good managers perform below their optimum level of performance, either because they lack training in certain aspects or because they have not updated their knowledge. All of this can translate into problems in labor management and in the managerial activity itself .
This problem is observed especially in what are known as intermediate positions. This is the group leader who has several employees under his charge and who, at the same time, must answer to other superiors. It is a basic piece in the business gear and, therefore, should be the subject of special training for managers.
Benefits of investing in training leaders
Investing in specific management training and development plans has a positive impact on the company for several reasons. Essentially, the authority of the leader is reinforced and more resources are provided -theoretical and practical- for a better professional performance.
- Priority setting – The properly trained business manager can set priorities for more efficient project management.
- Group Management : The group leader who is concerned with improving different aspects of his leadership can more effectively guide his subordinates.
- Supervision and autonomy : the training of a general manager teaches him to direct work teams without falling into the risks of micromanagement or micromanagement .
- Improved confidence and corporate commitment : managers who have received leadership training have more confidence in themselves and feel more committed to the company’s project and mission .
- Improving the internal functioning of the company : If all leaders receive the same manager training, all levels and departments of the company will work in a similar and coordinated way.
The main methods of training for managers and management development
There are several ways to promote management development in companies but, broadly speaking, we can group all these techniques into three different management development methods.
These methodologies for training for managers are not only not mutually exclusive, but also combine perfectly with each other .
learning and action
It is the method most closely related to the direct training of leaders. In parallel with following the relevant training courses or programmes, the manager puts the new knowledge and skills acquired into practice in his daily work .
This method requires that the leader is already occupying positions of responsibility. Specifying the most appropriate courses and teaching resources for the performance of managerial functions is very simple if training software is used .
This program allows you to choose from a huge catalog of training possibilities and facilitates the monitoring of the programs by the manager.
Coaching and Mentoring
Coaching and Mentoring are two options that are especially recommended before promoting employees to managerial positions. In both cases, an experienced leader puts his knowledge at the disposal of a potential manager and helps him navigate between the two spheres of the company.
Rotation in positions of responsibility
It is a possibility that can be used both before the appointment of the new managers (if they already work in the company) and when they are already fulfilling these functions. The logic of this method is to rotate management positions so that leaders are trained in different areas of the business .
Training for managers | Aspects to consider
Beyond the work method chosen for training leaders, a good training program for managers should not neglect the following aspects:
To manage time
Time is one of the most precious resources in any business. The best managers are those who manage to optimize the time available thanks to strategic management of human resources. It should be a basic pillar in any training program.
Training for managers | Relations
The group leader is the center of a work system, therefore training for managers should pay special attention to the role of the leader as the axis of labor relations. This can be best visualized by creating a map of connections known as Key Induction Connections.
Although the training of leaders cannot be considered as a test of their ability to update and improve, it is clear that it is convenient to measure the results of these processes.
Performance appraisal software can make this task easier, especially among middle managers (who have to answer to other supervisors).
As part of the evaluation process or simply monitoring the training for managers, it is convenient to know their opinion about the actions that have been carried out. Employee survey software can be used to collect honest and confidential feedback from leaders.
Promotion and rewards
When the leader being trained is not in the first hierarchical level of the company, it is advisable to offer incentives in the form of promotions or other rewards. Thus, managers will be more motivated to deepen the development of managerial talent.
Qualities and skills of a company manager
Management training and development programs have multiple objectives. One of the most important is to promote a corporate culture that values the continuous training of all members of the company .
How do you know if leaders have reached their optimal level of managerial development? If they meet these qualities, they are very close to being the perfect managers:
- Communication skills : the minimum that is expected of a group leader is that he knows how to communicate with his subordinates, for which it is convenient both to formulate his instructions correctly and to listen to the employees.
- Ability to make decisions : decision making is an inherent aspect of leadership and management of human teams. In addition, a decisive leader acts as a very stimulating example for his employees.
- Team building : learning to create good work teams , integrating the most recommended professional profiles and effectively distributing roles, is another quality of good managers.
- Work under pressure : the manager ends up being involved in all kinds of situations that can put a lot of pressure on him, especially when things are not going as well as they should. A solvent leader will be able to manage pressure and anxiety so as not to make hasty decisions.
- Empathetic character : when working with other people, even from another hierarchical level, the manager must be understanding of the problems, doubts and insecurities of his subordinates. Thus, he will generate more confidence in his leadership.
- Negotiation and mediation skills : the management of work teams or entire departments often requires reconciling disparate positions among employees. Leaders do not shy away from conflict resolution , since they know the importance of a good work environment to achieve the planned goals.