Although online surveys are a fantastic tool for data collection, a face-to-face survey is still one of the best methods to obtain accurate, concrete and focused information on quantitative data, as well as on the tastes and preferences of our potential customers. .
What is a face-to-face survey?
A face-to-face survey or f2f survey is a data collection method in which the study sample participates with the objective of conducting the interview personally and observing the behavior and responses of the participants to obtain more information.
This method is preferred by many researchers, since it allows them to observe the context in which the study population or sample develops and in this way they can deepen the analysis of their responses, for example when conducting field research .
Face-to-face surveys are used for complex, time-consuming studies or when a product needs to be presented or tested.
Types of face-to-face surveys
There are different types of face-to-face surveys, among them are:
- Surveys at home or in the workplace : The interviewers ask the questions at the respondent’s home.
- Indoor Surveys : Respondents recruit participants directly from the street or by phone.
- Exit or interception surveys: Respondents are detained at or just after using the product or service at the point of consumption. For example, conducting surveys in shopping malls .
Compared with mail surveys and telephone surveys , the face surveys offer significant advantages in terms of quantity and complexity of data that can be collected.
For example, face-to-face surveys can be significantly longer. Most people who agree to answer a survey agree to answer it, even if it is a survey with many questions.
These are other benefits of applying surveys in person:
- You can apply it in situ and obtain information when the respondent is taking a certain action, be it after a purchase, for example.
- They give you the possibility to establish a dialogue, and to ask a question that is not considered in the questionnaire, or even to resolve any doubts to the respondent about the questions.
- There is transparency in the process, as people can see what the process is like and decide to participate.
Consider that these types of studies have a complex organization, in addition to the costs, because you have to consider transfers to the points where the survey will be applied, impressions if you will do surveys on paper, the payment of the people who will apply the survey, travel expenses , etc. As this method involves the choice of sampling units for convenience , the levels of reliability can therefore be questionable.
How to conduct face-to-face surveys
You can create your questionnaire using survey software that allows you to easily design your questionnaire, use different types of questions , and make use of different logics for surveys , which will allow you to have a better flow when applying your questionnaire and asking the respondent only the necessary questions or those based on your answers.
You can audit your interviewers, find out where they applied the surveys, and make use of multimedia resources such as photographs to better control your study.
If you want to try this or other tools available on our platform, do not hesitate to request a demonstration so that you can tell us more about your research needs.