In computing, those files that are transferred from the Internet to a computer or mobile device are called ” downloads ” . From audios to movies, millions of documents and data are downloaded every day around the world; industry. The term “download” can also refer to the download of mobile data , that is, the sending of data for navigation on mobile networks. It is also referred to as “electrostatic discharge”, an electrostatic phenomenon where an electric current circulates, momentarily , between two objects of different electric potential. In this article we will explain the definition of download.
what is download
Downloading is transferring complete files from the Internet to the computer or devices, to be used later, unlike streaming data that is transmitted in real time and can be used while the process is in progress and cannot be stored long-term. The meaning of downloading is not the same as transferring, copying or moving data between two devices, as they are downloaded from the Internet.
The concept of downloading t It is also used to describe the process of loading a font into a laser printer. ont must be copied to disk from the printer’s local memory. Font downloaded in this way is called a soft font to differentiate it from hard fonts that remain permanently in printers.
With the arrival of technology At this time, the purchase of virtual files , such as music and movies, is booming, an example of this are the online platforms that are responsible for distributing singles and albums, whose existence is defining the music industry; These include: iTunes, Google Play Music, Amazonmp3 and Napster.
With equal or even greater popularity, there are those platforms dedicated to streaming, whose main characteristic is to offer millions of songs completely online; Spotify is the page with the most users in this category, in addition to Apple Music .
This advance, however, has led to the emergence of pirated web services that offer these completely free products; This puts the user at risk, due to the possible existence of malicious software, in addition to taking profits from the artists.
Various types of downloads
The types of downloads are:
This type of download refers to those made from a server where the user does not have to wait for turns , since the speed or speed of the file transfer depends only on the upload bandwidth of the sender and also on the bandwidth of the receiver.
In addition to this, it is not necessary for the user to have specific programs to download, you just need to use the browser.
It is important to note that this type of download is the most used and ideal when users have a poor Internet connection.
P2P o Peer-to-peer
To perform this download, use a P2P network , an acronym for peer-to-peer in English that means “peer network, peer network or peer network”. This rs service network works on some without fixed clients, as do servers and there is a set of nodes whose behavior is the same between them.
This network has the quality that all its members act simultaneously as client and server with respect to the other nodes of the network, allowing the direct exchange of information, in any type of format, between the interconnected computers.
Nowadays, in terms of digital environment , you can download any type of applications and files, the most downloaded and safest are:
- JPG/GIF/PNG: These are image formats.
- MP3/WAV: files with audio formats.
- AVI/MPEG/MP4: formatted video.
- DOC/TXT: These are files with formats for editing and creating text files.
- EXE: they are files called executables, that is, they are used to create n new programs or to execute already created programs.
- PDF : they are used to spread text files that, once created, can no longer be modified.
- ZIP/RAR: they are compressed file folders that are used to store information in small spaces to be spread over the Internet.
The definition of Downloading the file is basically transferring it from the Internet to your computer or mobile phone. What you frequently download are the updates and programs , in addition to others such as game demos, video and music files or documents.
When the selection is made to download a web file, the browser asks what you want to do with it. The steps to follow depending on the file you want to download are:
1.First Open the file just to view but don’t save it even on your computer.
2.Secondly, or save the file to the default downloads location on each computer.it will run safety shutdown and proceed to download the file, then it will open a folder where it is stored or can be viewed in the download manager.
3.As a third step is to “save as”, this is done with a different file name or type or another download location on the computer.
4.Fourthly you must run the application , extension or any other type of file. Internet Explorer performs a security scan, the file will open and run on the computer or PC.
How to know if a file download is safe
It is important to make sure that the download you want to perform is not infected with a virus that could cause damage to your computer, this can be verified by following these steps:
- Evaluate what you want to download, s If you want to download pornography or programs like “merchandise” (cracked), there is a high probability that you will get infected with a virus hidden in the download. What you need to know is that it contains the file. If it looks suspicious or illegal, it is very likely to be dangerous.
- The site must be well reviewed, it may seem superficial, but if the file download is a very basic site, there is a high probability that there is a hidden virus in the downloadable files, for this reason they must be downloaded from sites that have been created after years of work and dedication of the designers.
- It must be determined from which website the file will be downloaded, for example if it is downloaded from Microsoft, it is very likely that it is not a virus, that is, it is better to download it from the most reliable sites.
- Check to see if other people have downloaded that file, if the file is on a site for or where other people have downloaded it without problems, it is most likely virus-free.
- Check the size of the file, if it is very small it is most likely a virus.
- Be careful with executable files such as “.exe”, “.pif”, “.scr”, “.bat”, when downloading any of these, you will be entering what the file contains. It is advisable to try to examine it with an antivirus or any other other similar software to be safe. Generally, hackers add double extensions, for example “gif.exe”, it is actually “ex e” and not “gif”.
- When the executable file “exe ” is downloaded in Windows, opening it normally shows a license related warning. They are unlicensed, most likely a threat to computer and user privacy. Care should be taken with n all unlicensed executable files are dangerous.