Cataphora referred to in the text linguistics a linguistic unit that is available for a subsequent text linguistic unity. A pro form (for example, a pronoun ) presupposes a different linguistic expression, which is mentioned below. Kataphs are less commonly used as anaphors because they are cognitively more difficult to process. But you will u. a. gladly used as rhetorical figures to increase the tension.
Examples of Cataphora
n the following examples, cataphoras are bolded and their referents are italicized.
- Too scared to buy before they sell, some brokers aim for a trade.
- Once it landed safely, the helipad opened its doors.
- Because it receives so little rain, Death Valley is a desert.
- A few days before he left, Uncle Mike gave me a fancy gift.
- Finding the right gadget was a hassle. I finally settled with a digital camera.
- Because she studied really hard, Gretchen made nice grade in her exams