Transitive and intransitive verbs
The transitive verbs are those that can have direct complement (also called direct object ), ie a person or object that receives the action directly. For example: see, divide, steal. Transitive and intransitive verbs examples
The intransitive verbs are those who may not have direct object , because the action can not happen on something or someone. For example: walk, park, exit.
For example: We went to watch a movie . In this case, “a movie” is the direct complement to “watch.” Therefore, “seeing” is a transitive verb. ”
Transitive or intransitive verbs according to the meaning
Some verbs can be transitive or intransitive depending on the meaning given in the sentence. For example:
Walk (walk). To get to the beach you can walk . (Intransitive verb, since it has no direct object)
Walk (walk). We have walked almost ten kilometers. (Transitive verb, since it has a direct object: “ten kilometers” is the direct object). Transitive and intransitive verbs examples
Examples of transitive verbs
|to turn off||divide||Start|
|change||to elaborate||to call|
Examples of sentences with transitive verbs
The transitive verb in bold and the direct object underlined are marked in the examples.
- I don’t know how he managed to guess my name .
- This decision affects the whole family .
- Have you fed the cat yet ?
- She loves her husband . / We love this game .
- In a few hours the firefighters managed to put out the fire .
- The story scared the children .
- You cannot erase your memories .
- We need to change their living conditions .
- They canceled my flight .
- Hail has damaged my car‘s paint .
- My father said he needs his tools back .
- He has stated that he is not afraid of the result .
- He placed the pot in the ground.
- They developed new programs .
- They were so hungry that they devoured the sandwiches in a few minutes.
- He couldn’t hide his pain .
- We have to divide the cake into eight parts.
- He donated all his books to the village library.
- Are you sure you made the deposit ?
- His speech eliminated all doubt .
- Here they are produced breads of different varieties .
- They cheated their mother for years.
- We must avoid a new crisis .
- We have filmed the entire production process .
- With a gesture of his hands he formed a heart .
- It is not right to encourage violent attitudes in children.
- We won the championship .
- We will start the game .
- It can’t stop you from traveling .
- We must investigate all possibilities before making a decision.
- They invited all their friends to the party.
- Children always wash the dishes .
- Try to lift the child without waking up.
- Could you call Silvia , please?
- They are looking at the neighbor .
- The contract cannot be modified .
- The rain has wet the clothes that were outside .
- Pablo, stop bothering your brother .
- Who moved the pens on your site?
- I need two kilos of tomatoes .
- I forgot what I had to do today .
- Juan paid the bill .
- The house is much prettier since we painted the walls .
- I have already forgiven everything he did to me .
- I’m going to ask my cousin to lend me her glasses .
- They gave her a beautiful dress .
- They rescued the boy who had fallen into the water.
- No one can repair my computer .
- I can’t believe they stole your phone again .
- The blow broke the window .
- While they know the answer .
- We have to find a way to solve the problem .
- I can’t stand this heat .
- I have a bottle of water for when we are thirsty.
- Don’t touch that glass , it’s broken.
- Can I use this chair ?
- You have to empty all the cabinets .
- It is essential to verify all the data .
- Please watch the children while I am gone.
- We visited Paris and found it beautiful. Transitive and intransitive verbs examples
Examples of intransitive verbs
|to give||sleep||to struggle|
|nest||get in||take a walk|
|to joke||fail||go up|
Examples of sentences with intransitive verbs
- We walked for hours and did not find the gift we were looking for.
- Birds nested in the upper part of the tree
- We have made significant progress in recent months.
- She can dance for hours without getting tired.
- Don’t get mad, they’re just kidding .
- Sow they walk next to each other.
- She sings very well, but she doesn’t know it.
- I trust we will have a good result. (“In which we will have a good result” is not a direct object since it cannot be replaced by it)
- We are not hiring .
- He is a great student, stands out on multiple occasions.
- After so much work, they slept for hours.
- Juan and Pablo tied in the game.
- He got sick a week ago.
- The ball entered the basket.
- Allergies make you sneeze.
- There are fifteen minutes left before the film begins.
- I am very sorry, it fails in all the projects it proposes.
- The project works perfectly.
- We were talking quietly and suddenly he started shouting .
- The family immigrated two years ago.
- We will arrive a little later than expected.
- I see her very sad, she seems about to cry .
- The soldiers fought in enemy armies.
- The champion swam three seconds faster than the others.
- Do not believe him, he always lies .
- They gave him a better score for participating in class.
- He left without even saying goodbye.
- We love to walk along the riverbank together.
- I am trying to learn to skate .
- Those two dogs whenever they see each other fight .
- We will return before eight.
- Mammals can not breathe underwater.
- We retreated because the road was not safe.
- Remember closed and locked when you leave.
- It took us two hours to climb here.
- It was so hot that everyone was sweating .
- I don’t know what’s wrong with him, he spends all day sighing .
- You cannot work in this environment.
- We want to travel in Europe.
- Next Sunday we will all vote. Transitive and intransitive verbs examples