The word procrastination is a cultism that is not part of everyday language . This term comes from Latin and is formed by the prefix pro, which means forward, and the adverb cras, which means tomorrow. Therefore, the action of procrastinating consists in putting off for tomorrow or later an obligation to be fulfilled. In other words, it means not doing something out of laziness or replacing an obligation with some pleasurable fun.
Whether to a greater or lesser degree, all people procrastinate and therefore fail to fulfill their obligations at times. This phenomenon can be presented in several ways:
- – When we know we have bureaucratic issues to deal with, but leave it for later;
- – When we use any kind of excuse not to assume certain tasks, for example, activities related to study , work or home.
- – When we decide to postpone an obligation because we consider it stressful or harmful for some reason, for example, the person knows that they need to go to the dentist, but as this idea makes them feel uncomfortable, they decide not to go. Procrastination
Procrastination is usually a moderate degree, but in some cases it can become a problem of some seriousness.
Let’s imagine that a person has a habit of postponing his obligations. Naturally, this habit will have very negative consequences, since unfulfilled obligations are accompanied by sanctions, fines and inconveniences, in short, problems of all kinds.
Advice to avoid procrastination
- – Avoid untimely meals (food is a temptation and a good excuse to waste time);
- – Stay away from the cell phone or any object that may distract from responsibilities;
- – Sleep early, as this makes it easier to get up early and accomplish everything you had planned;
- – Use “post it” in visible places to specify the tasks that must be performed (this form of reminder is a strategy for not making mistakes and reminding yourself of obligations);
- – Perform daily activities (study or work) with brief rest breaks;
- – Use some organizational system , for example, write down the tasks of each day in a diary;
- – Motivate yourself not to fall into any temptation and distract yourself from responsibilities. Procrastination