A prescription is a document issued by a doctor so that a patient receives a medication later provided by a pharmacy. Medical Prescription
The process of acquiring and using a medical prescription takes place as follows:
1) the patient who has any disorder or illness needs to undergo a medical appointment;
2) the doctor will perform the necessary analysis on the symptoms presented by the patient and finally give the diagnosis;
3) after making the diagnosis a particular treatment is prescribed, which may involve some type of medication;
4) if the disease to be treated involves the consumption of drugs, the doctor details in an official document (the medical prescription) which medications should be consumed and in what manner (the number of daily doses and the period of treatment);
5) Finally, the patient goes to the pharmacy with the prescription and the pharmacist sells the product prescribed by the doctor. Medical Prescription
The medical prescription document
In addition to the drug acquisition process, the prescription document must meet certain requirements: the indication of the physician’s professional registration number, as well as his signature and the official stamp of the hospital or clinic from which the medication comes. As soon as the pharmacist receives the prescription and verifies that he meets the established requirements, he can already provide the medication to the patient.
The first medical prescriptions in history date back to ancient Egypt, where the symbol of the eye of Horus was used in this type of document. Currently, in most countries the symbol used in medical prescriptions is the Rx.
Control of medications
The use of medical prescriptions has public health as its main objective . With this document, the administration ensures that the population does not self-medicate, which could be very harmful to the health of citizens. However, certain medications can be obtained over-the-counter, such as some pain relievers or anti-inflammatory drugs. Medical Prescription
On the other hand, with these measures it is intended that the population does not have access to medication without adequate control, since certain drugs can cause certain disorders if consumed without sufficient guarantee.
Finally, the control of drugs through medical prescriptions is related to pharmaceutical expenses assumed by the State , since in many countries drugs are subsidized in a partial or total way.
Although these control mechanisms increase public health security , it should be noted that there is an illegal drug market and a business of counterfeiting medical prescriptions. Medical Prescription