When it comes to better understanding the grammar and linguistics of a language, it is important to know the parts that make it up. In the case at hand, we are going to focus on the links that are those words or expressions that are used within a text or sentence to unite two parts. Distributional ties with types and examples
Links are also known as connectors because their function is to unite or connect two parts and make both make sense as a whole. In other words, even if the ideas to be expressed are contradictory , thanks to the use of the contents, a coherent relationship between the two can be established.
Links, whatever they are, can be used in both oral and written language, hence their importance. They can be used to join words as well as paragraphs and sentences of different lengths and as joins between different parts of a larger text.
Depending on the functionality of the nexus, it receives different names . In this case, we are going to focus on distributional ties. As you already know, its main functionality is to join, in this case it is used when the two sentences between which you want to establish a relationship are independent of each other. Through them you can join two or more sentences that do not have a connection to each other since they present different options or themes. Specifically, distributives introduce two sentences between which there is an alteration or alternation.
Distributive connectors are always used two by two , that is, in the same sentence we are always going to find two links, whether they are the same word or it has been chosen to express the idea with another connector of the same type.
Types of distributional ties
After knowing what distributional links are, we must focus on the types of these connectors that we can find in some langauages. Thus, we can say that the distributive links are in turn divided into two:
- Copulative distributive ties
- Distributional ties
1-Copulative distributive ties
Copulative distributive links are those links that appear in a sentence but are different from each other . That is, although they are two different connectors, they appear together and function as a single connector. This is the case of As soon as . Although we are usually used to seeing them together, the truth is that they are two distributive nexus, which when appearing together make up a copulative distributive nexus. So that you can understand it better, we show you the following examples:
- As soon as you get home we’ll go to the dentist so they can look at that tooth.
- Some were walking towards the garden and others were walking towards the stands.
- Sometimes we studied in the municipal library and other times we preferred to stay at home.
These are the distributive links proper, that is, they are those in which the same word is repeated within a sentence with the aim of uniting the different parts of it. We are going to see some examples of distributive links in sentences to be able to identify them correctly:
- Be early or be late, you’re gonna go see your grandmother to the hospital.
- And you have come flying, and we’re all quiet after what happened.
- She was neither as smart, nor as tall as she had been described to me.
As you can see, the distributive links, whether they are copulative or not, are not many and are easily identifiable because they always appear two by two. So that you have no doubts as to which are the words that most frequently function as distributive links, pay attention to the following list:
- Some … others
- Be Distributional ties with types and examples
Examples of distributional ties
You already know what the distributive links are and you know what words are the ones that make them up. In order to help you better fix the knowledge acquired, we are going to show you some examples in sentences so that you can easily identify these connectors.
- He is already putting in the washing machine, he is already hanging the clothes.
- Well you buy bread at the bakery, well you do it at the supermarket.
- Some times you like to watch horror movies in film, others do not want to hear about them.
- Now you decide that you want to adopt a puppy, now that you prefer to have a hamster as a pet.
- He has already made his decision, is this right or is wrong do not change her mind so easily.