Cyberbullying definition/Examples/Consequences

Cyberbullying is violence against someone on the internet , on social networks or other digital means. It is also called cyber bullying . Cyberbullying definition

Practicing cyberbullying means using the virtual space to intimidate, harass or humiliate a person, defaming, insulting or morally attacking.

The term is formed from the junction of the words cyber , a word of English origin that is associated with virtual communication in digital media, such as social networks. Bullying is the act of intimidating or humiliating a person. Thus, the person who commits this type of act is known as a cyberbully.

Attacks are common on social media because attackers can do so anonymously from so-called “fake accounts”, firing offensive and slanderous content. Cyberbullying definition

Anti – cyberbullying laws that warn to curb these practices by identifying and holding perpetrators accountable.

In general, cyberbullying is practiced among adolescents and is related to the school environment, but it also occurs frequently among adults, especially in the work environment.

Examples of cyberbullying

The main forms of cyber bullying are:

  • Spread defamatory or libelous information via email, messages or posts on social networks;
  • Post personal material such as notebooks, diaries, letters or private messages on social media without the person’s permission;
  • Disclose photographs taken without authorization with the aim of humiliating or exposing the person in a derogatory way; Cyberbullying definition
  • Disclose intimate photos or videos;
  • Prevent a (real) group member from participating in the virtual environment without plausible justification.

Consequences of cyberbullying

The UN (United Nations), in a study carried out in 2018, reported that cyberbullying is among the main causes of school dropout.

The WHO warns of the emotional damage caused by this practice, with consequences for the socialization of children and young people. Cyberbullying definition

The APA (American Psychological Association) reported that only 68% of children and youth who are cyberbullied seek help from adults or authorities. The remaining 32% remain silent and may suffer even more emotional damage.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker